The Historic Kaune Bandelier House
This structure, a splendid example of the Territorial style, first appears in the records of Santa Fe county in 1867. The Territorial style is typified by the use of adobe construction, brick parapets, flat roofs, the presence of pediments above the doors and windows, and a portal running the length of the building. In 1966 (although the house has been altered and enlarged over the years and devoid of the brick parapet), the Historic Santa Fe Foundation deemed this structure worthy of preservation.
The first deed of record is the sale of the property to Marta Romero y Maynas, dated February 1, 1867. In 1873, John Schumann bought the property. In 1885, Schumann rented the property to Adolf Bandelier and his wife Josephine. Bandelier was the pre-eminent archaeologist of his time, best known for his work at the Pecos Pueblo. Bandelier and his family rented the house for only six years, until 1891. Subsequently, the house was rented by Henry Kaune and his wife Elizabeth, who was a second cousin of Bandelier. The Kaune family lived in the house until 1982, when the youngest daughter of Henry S. Kaune passed away. To many Santa Feans, the house is more commonly known as the "Kaune House."
More information about this historic building can be found at: www.historicsantafe.org/registry.html